[SGVLUG] Test site changes

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Mon Jul 25 21:00:23 PDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, David Lawyer wrote:

> Thanks for adding my test site.  I've improved it a little in content and
> layout.  Perhaps some of the content, such as describing how to get to
> 107 Downs in writing, can be eventually put on the main site.

Seems like a good idea.

> to look at the html created from it.  This is likely the case of
> many people who use special html editors to create html: they know how
> to use the editor but don't bother to look at what a mess they've created
> in html.

That is exactly why I have a prejudice against "html editors."  No doubt
when used properly they are fine, but I do think people tend to use them
as a substitute for understanding what the tool is doing.  I'd be
interested to know the percentage of FrontPage users who actually are
capable of writing 'hello world' in HTML.

I should probably play with the 'nvu' editor we saw a link for just to try
to get a more balanced view.

Here is a MS-Windows html editor which at least doesn't hide the details
from you:

http://www.notepad.org/

:-)

Dustin