[SGVLUG] Plone

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Wed Jul 20 21:15:57 PDT 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Rich Pinder wrote:

> Dustin - you're getting a bit out my realm, and probably the discussion
> here on the Linux ug - I'd suggest you come join us at LAZug, and also
> to post up on the Plone list.

At a minimum, I'll have to dig through the docs some more before doing
that.  I just thought I'd see if I could get some quickie info since we
have some Zope/Plone users here and it's partly for the benefit of the LUG
anyway....

> An update on the upcoming Plone 2.1 - after I posted that email earlier,
> I got a more quantitative report on performance increase... from one of
> the developers:    "3 to 5 times faster"    !

That's a good factor.  However, the memory requirements are probably
similar, and IIRC those are pretty high compared to the other CMSes we've
been looking at.

Now, in a sense this isn't fair at all--Zope and it's components are much
heavier-duty than the other ones and seem like a different class of
application.  I almost didn't even test Plone, partly because I wasn't
sure if it would take weeks to get working and partly because I guess it
is higher-end than we need.  But I'm also curious, and hope someone else
will also be curious enough to want to play with it and push the buttons
and see how it works out in practice.  And we may find some other
compelling reason to run it.  For example, it would not surprise me if it
has a better security record than most of these "MP" (MySQL+PHP)  CMSes),
and it does have a reputation as being easy for an ordinary user to add
content.

Dustin