[SGVLUG] Call for webmasters

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Sat Jul 2 11:14:58 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Tom Emerson wrote:

> Probably have to download the whole thing and extract it -- far easier
> To simply ask Dustin to install a second instance ;) )
>
> On the other hand, apparently there is also an "artbanners" module
> on mamboforge that supports up to 4 banners at once, and apparently
> Can limit per-page/section without the need for nultiple instances
> Either way, we don't have to do it "for the test", but it's nice
> To know that such a facility exists in the event we decide to use it

I just installed it, but I'm not sure I did it right and my wife is
getting impatient for the carpentry to start.  Also I've run into a
problem: some things I've looked at are getting marked as "checked out" by
me or admin (the superadministrator) and I don't see how to release the
lock.  I may have screwed up access to one of the banners that way.  I'll
look more later, but if anyone has figured this out please let me know.

> > I'm assuming (without having done any research whatsover to back it up)
> > that we can customize and/or create the templates to do whatever we
> > want. The default template is a combination of table-based layout
> > (boo) and css (yay). It's awfully busy.

I suspect you're right.  I'm not sure CSS is entirely yay, though--besides
my personal revulsion at the strange crap web designers have ended up
with, I thought IE didn't support it right.

> You are correct, and in fact, "installation" of templates CAN be done via
> The administrator module.  What you cannot do is actually EDIT the template
> >From within the (admin) user interface.

But you could edit it on your local site and then upload it without my
assistance, correct?

> ...I'll simply point out that this
> Is different than Movable Type in that template management & editing are
> Part of the user interface, so I was kind of surprised not to find it
> On this one quite so easily

I noticed that the WYSIWYG html editor is a module, so it may be that
Mambo has no built-in editing by design.  Maybe a modularity choice.

Dustin