[SGVLUG] Call for webmasters

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Sat Jul 2 10:21:32 PDT 2005

From: Douglas Burton
> Dustin wrote:
>> [I wrote]
>>> There is some concern about the "banner" that appears -- this can be
>>> used for good or evil it appears
>> Ooh!  Evil!  Evil!  I vote for Evil!!!
> Fear not! I used my powers for good and created a non-evil banner.

Ahh -- someone with "talent" :)

I too had created a less-evil one for UUASC simply by going to their
Website and scraping the one there from the site, but it appears to
Be just the letters UUASC without the expanded descruption (Unix users...)
My intent was to have that one appear ONLY on pages associated with "other
Lugs", but that can't quite be done "out of the box" by non-local admins.
It seems that you have to install the "banners" module muyltiple times
(and somehow distinguish between instances); then you can limit certain
Banners to specific pages.  Since I don't have the module handy "to
Install", I can't do this at the moment (I suppose I could snarf it
>From the mambo site, but this appears to be a "core" module, so I'd
Probably have to download the whole thing and extract it -- far easier
To simply ask Dustin to install a second instance ;) )

On the other hand, apparently there is also an "artbanners" module
on mamboforge that supports up to 4 banners at once, and apparently
Can limit per-page/section without the need for nultiple instances
Either way, we don't have to do it "for the test", but it's nice
To know that such a facility exists in the event we decide to use it

>> I think there is a template facility, which is probably what controls
>> layout.

> I'm assuming (without having done any research whatsover to back it up)
> that we can customize and/or create the templates to do whatever we
> want. The default template is a combination of table-based layout
> (boo) and css (yay). It's awfully busy.

You are correct, and in fact, "installation" of templates CAN be done via
The administrator module.  What you cannot do is actually EDIT the template
>From within the (admin) user interface.  I'll simply point out that this
Is different than Movable Type in that template management & editing are
Part of the user interface, so I was kind of surprised not to find it
On this one quite so easily (found in help that templates are managed
Elsewhere and that you basically have to insert placeholders for where
"something" goes, then in the module maintenance you tell the module
Where to display itself)