[SGVLUG] The SGVLUG website -- Mambo-style

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Fri Jul 1 23:15:47 PDT 2005

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Emerson, Tom wrote:

> I've placed a link to it on our current site for convenience (and for
> those that never "click a link found in e-mail" ;) ) but that will go
> away fairly soon (not entirely sure Dustin wants a link pointing to his
> site that might get spidered anytime soon, then again, it is kind of
> cool to find your own webserver as the result of a google search)

Actually, I'm not sure that's a good idea, mainly because once the world
finds out it's there we might have less freedom to test.  Right now, if
someone I don't happen to recognize by name or email address creates an
account and sends me email asking for admin privileges as the welcome
messages suggests, I can probably just boot them up to admin anyway
because nobody but SGVLUG people know it's there.  Once the world finds
it, it could be any bozo looking for a place to park a few Gb of porn for
his friends.

The lesser reason is bandwidth considerations, yah.  I've never publicized
or had the main family site linked to for that reason.  Since it's mostly
baby pictures at the moment family members make up most of the audience
(well, there are the couple of "Cool Tools" pages I put up too).  I don't
mean y'all aren't welcome if you think looking at > 1400 pictures of
someone else's baby is fun, but there never seemed any point in
advertising.

Hey, I should take close-ups of Eric in his "Vi" and "Emacs" bibs (not
kidding).  That should be more interesting for luggers than "Eric eats
mashed peas for the first time" (which is the usual level of nail-biting
excitment on the site).

Dustin