[SGVLUG] The SGVLUG website -- Mambo-style

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri Jul 1 16:13:59 PDT 2005

Dustin has kindly decided to allow us time & space on his at-home web server to kick around various CMS (content management systems) to see if we can find a nice enough one to use for managing our website (especially since there may be multiple "webministrators")

First up for trial is "Mambo".  A couple of us have thrown "some content" at the site to see what would stick -- a write-up of our next meeting, some things from other user groups, a link to a past presentation, etc.  I've even placed a "poll" on the site so you can let us know if you like it or not (but don't be voting based on the red/orange color scheme -- I'm pretty sure we can change that...)

I've placed a link to it on our current site for convenience (and for those that never "click a link found in e-mail" ;) ) but that will go away fairly soon (not entirely sure Dustin wants a link pointing to his site that might get spidered anytime soon, then again, it is kind of cool to find your own webserver as the result of a google search)

There apparently are some "add-ons" available that help "build communities" -- things like expanding what the "user registration" holds (like pictures, more fields, etc.) as well as phpBB style "forums" (or maybe it is some linkage to allow both mambo and phpbb to co-operate by using the same user list, passwords, etc.)