[SGVLUG] The SGVLUG website -- Mambo-style

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Sat Jul 2 10:55:30 PDT 2005

Yeah, I thought about that roughly 3 ohmoseconds after I did it
(whem I was posting the above message) but actually you may be
Pretty safe anyway -- the sgvlug.NET site isn't "advertised"
Anywhere else other than our e-mail list to begin with (so far
As I know -- nobody has submitted the new site to GLUE yet, have
They?)

> Right now, if someone I don't happen to
> recognize ... sends me email asking for admin privileges
> I can probably just boot them up to admin because nobody
> but SGVLUG people know it's there.

I noticed that once someone is marked as "admin", they CANNOT
Be demoted -- you have to purge the user entirely.  (I suppose
There is a way to do this directly in the database using a standalone
Query tool, but that could get messy...)

> Once the world finds it, it could be any bozo looking for a
> place to park a few Gb of porn for his friends.

Well, I think we're pretty much monitoring it close enough
That this is unlikely, and if it should come to pass, you do
Have the right to "pull the plug" without warning (especially
If the "bozo" is cluefull enough to delete the rest of the
Admins so we can't lock him out)

> The lesser reason is bandwidth considerations, yah.  I've
> never publicized or had the main family site linked to for
> that reason.

I'm finding that there are now SOOOO MANY sites out there that
Unless you pro-actively advertise your site on a regular basis,
Bandwidth won't be an issue.  You're welcome to look at my
"awstats" page to see what I mean (you can ignore the 2gb
Spike in April -- I just reviewed the details and "remembered"
I was listening to .mpeg's stored on this system while at work)

> [...] I don't mean
> y'all aren't welcome if you think looking at > 1400 pictures
> of someone else's baby is fun

Oh, I'm sure there are a few people out there that would think
Of that as "fun"... ;)