[SGVLUG] water cooled cases.

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Mon Dec 5 14:09:00 PST 2005

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, John Riehl wrote:

> interesting.  I am a bit skeptical about the zalman conductive cooling.

No help there, though I've seen magazine articles where they used
heat pipes for cooling quiet PCs.  I think it's a much quieter technology,
so other than possible questions of effectiveness I suspect it makes more
sense than water cooling.

>   One of the "features" that I found in dealing with "water-cooled"
> cases is that they were set up to cool 1 cpu, and I have a dual cpu
> situation.  there might not be enough cooling for a second cpu.

I think what you saw was probably just bundles, since most people who buy
that stuff are gamers who want to overclock their uniprocessor game
machine.

When I looked into the water cooling system that endpcnoise sells (for my
brother, who has a recording computer that makes too much noise) it
appeared very modular--you bought the pump, fluid->air exchanger, and
hoses, then added a chip->fluid exchanger for each card/chipset you needed
to cool.  Since everything was sold separately, I'm pretty sure you can
buy whatever parts you need.

Dustin