[SGVLUG] trademark realities

Hershel Remer unixrabbi at rabbs.com
Mon Aug 29 12:39:27 PDT 2005

BS"D

Our friend Michael answers:

> We were not given specific permission but in the past, Maddog has said
> that people are welcome to use "Linux" name as long as long as it is
> general. Examples He gave were something like:
>
> It is fine to call it Linux University of Pasadena, but not "The Linux
> University".
>
> The current issue is over licensing the Linux[TM] name to be used as
> part of another Trademark. Example: SUSE Enterprise Linux[TM]. The
> problem only comes up when you want Linux to be part of your
> trademark. As we have not and do not plan to trademark San Gaberial
> Valley Linux User Group, we don't have a problem. By the way I have
> talked to Maddog in person(one on one, in groups, and heard talks he
> has given) several time in the past, he is a really nice guy. Maddog
> and Linus are not going to start sueing user groups.
>
> I just thought the putting an attrubution on the website is a good
> idea as it points out who owns the Linux[TM], and generally the right
> thing to do.

Ah. Thanks for taking the time to provide a very nice answer to my question,
and I would agree that putting an attribution on the web site is a good idea.
My suggestion would be to just put a (R) for 'registered trademark' next to
Linux. I can't think of why doing so should be objectionable for anyone in the
group.

-- the unixrabbi

Have you got a question about sex? Wondering about unix? or just curious why
the Jews were chosen and the rest of you Gentiles were not? Well, why not get
your answers from the Rabbi Rabbs himself at:
http://www.thedingdongshow.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=7 .