[SGVLUG] trademark realities

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 12:33:33 PDT 2005

> Interesting. I must've missed that in the discussion, so please refresh my
> memory as to the details of how we were given permission. Because if we were
> given permission, then I don't understand why we're even having this
> discussion to begin with.

We were not given specific permission but in the past, Maddog has said
that people are welcome to use "Linux" name as long as long as it is
general. Examples He gave were something like:

It is fine to call it Linux University of Pasadena, but not "The Linux
University".

The current issue is over licensing the Linux[TM] name to be used as
part of another Trademark. Example: SUSE Enterprise Linux[TM]. The
problem only comes up when you want Linux to be part of your
trademark. As we have not and do not plan to trademark San Gaberial
Valley Linux User Group, we don't have a problem. By the way I have
talked to Maddog in person(one on one, in groups, and heard talks he
has given) several time in the past, he is a really nice guy. Maddog
and Linus are not going to start sueing user groups.

I just thought the putting an attrubution on the website is a good
idea as it points out who owns the Linux[TM], and generally the right
thing to do.