[SGVLUG] trademark realities

Hershel Remer unixrabbi at rabbs.com
Mon Aug 29 12:13:45 PDT 2005

BS"D

Our friend Dustin writes:

>> There is no point to playing with the numbers behind the chance of lightning
>> striking, because the odds of being sued for trademark infringement cannot
>> be
>> quantified.
>
>> matter how rare that it is. Why? Because you probably have ZERO chance of
>> actually being sued.
>
> I don't know when and where you went to school, Hershel, but these days we
> call zero a number. :-)

So are the odds a bazillion to 1? A terrabazillion to 1? A nanobazillion to 1?

We're talking about setting odds, and I don't know how on earth you're going
to do that, Dustin.

>> ...So, even if the group ignored the cease and desist
>> letter, nothing further would happen. That is just called reality.
>
> Didn't I say that?

I don't know, but didn't you waste bandwidth trying to determine odds of being
hit by lightning on the way to a LUG meeting?  ;-)

>> Actually, the right thing to do right now might be for us to write a letter
>> to the trademark owner and ask for permission to use the trademark
>
> I believe we've already been given it, effectively.

Interesting. I must've missed that in the discussion, so please refresh my
memory as to the details of how we were given permission. Because if we were
given permission, then I don't understand why we're even having this
discussion to begin with.

-- the unixrabbi

Have you got a question about sex? Wondering about unix? or just curious why
the Jews were chosen and the rest of you Gentiles were not? Well, why not get
your answers from the Rabbi Rabbs himself at:
http://www.thedingdongshow.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=7 .