[SGVLUG] Debian Sound Issues with sudo?

Chime Hart chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Fri Dec 15 16:13:17 PST 2023

Hi All: I realize many times I bring strange quirees along-and-maybe more of
you are mostly in graphical Linux? Certainly none of you are blind, nor needing
a screen-reader. OK, so we are trying to switch from Speakup, a kernel based
module over to Fenrir which would only run as root. This is Debian SID. An
unusual aspect, in some cases, especially running "spd-say" as root, I get no
sound, but can play audio with sudo mpv    In running lots of duckduckgo
searches, more folks have it an opposit way where sound only works in root. Yes
we have alsa, pulse, and pipewire installed-and-yes I am in a sound group. For
right now Fenrir would be a software speech solution until they can get DecTalk
support through emacspeak. Speakup-and-fenrir cannot run together, so must
unload speakup first, then either install from Debian or run a dot deb file,
otherwise if Speakup is still running, I have no keyboard access. Might any of
you please have any more tricks we can try to fix these sudo sound issues?
Thanks so much in advance
Chime