[SGVLUG] Cast-off laptop?

Dustin Laurence dllaurence at dslextreme.com
Thu Nov 17 11:31:09 PST 2022

Hi, luggers. I have an elderly friend whose laptop is more or less dead
(the power socket and plug both seem to be damaged enough that I don't
think it's possible to get contact anymore, though she ordered a new
charger to try). Even if we manage to get power to it, it's really
beaten up and isn't going to last long no matter what. She doesn't have
much money for a new one, but it's her lifeline to the world, so I'm
looking at inexpensive Windows laptops for her. (She is afraid to change
from Windows Home to Pro, because she thinks the latter will present her
with a dashboard like the shuttle, so running anything but Windows is
simply not going to work).

I can get something with better specs than the old one for about $250 at
Wal-Mart, so that's my baseline for comparison. Suggestions for other
cheap sources welcome, though. Alternatively, if anyone has an old but
functional Windows laptop gathering dust that they'd like to quit taking
up space, LMK. Performance doesn't seem to be an issue, since she thinks
she'd prefer another of what she had and that has specs that look more
like a fat microcontroller:
https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c06617062 . Basically she only
needs the basics: email, web for paying bills, and so on. Zoom for her
telemedicine and social groups is probably the most resource intensive
thing she does.

She is pretty hard on a laptop physically, so if it weren't for the cost
factor I'd go looking for hardened laptops for construction sites. :-(
But I think that's not realistic.

Dustin