[SGVLUG] WiFi detected RADAR

Claude Felizardo via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Wed Apr 8 10:58:21 PDT 2020

Got an interesting email from my WiFi controller this morning:

UniFi Alarm: AP Radar Detected
Message: AP[xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx] detected radar on channel 100 (5500 MHz)

Followed by a link to what looked like my WiFi controller but not
trusting it I opened up a web browser and entered the internal IP
manually and looked at the dashboard and saw a nice display showing what
channels my AP's are using with nothing in use around channel 100.
Pretty slick.  I also got a reminder that there is a firmware update
which I had skipped initially because I usually try to wait a few weeks
or more in case they pull it.

As for the RADAR alert I found a couple of links that talk about RADAR
Detection in Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) Channels which is
standardized in 2003 as part of IEEE 802.11h.

Short answer is when WiFi Access Points use certain channels in the 5
MHz band they are suppose to switch to another channel if RADAR is
detected.  I live in the San Gabriel Valley not to far from El Monte
airport but it looks like it could have been Weather or military RADAR.
 From the event log is looks like it was detected at 9:08 am.  Digging
around some more I see that one of my APs was using channel 100 and has
automatically moved to another channel. The other AP has been on another
channel and did not have to move.

www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/80211/213882-radar-detection-in-dynamic-frequency-sel.html
wifi-insider.com/wlan/dfs.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_frequency_selection
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11h-2003