[SGVLUG] Raising money for SGVTech A/V kit

Lan Dang via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Fri May 31 23:53:53 PDT 2019

tl;dr Need to raise money to buy A/V equipment for SGVTech due to increased
presentation-style meetups with addition of SGV-AI and SWENG subgroups

With SGV-AI and SWENG, we have more presentation-style meetups that require some
kind of A/V equipment.  In off-and-on discussions with Michael Starch and Braddock, we
have concluded that the groups can't keep passing around my personal equipment.I don't mind the projection screen, which was bought for LUG, but I would like to
eventually mount my projector to build a home theater system.
SGVTech should own the A/V equipment, which can be passed around as a kit to whichever
group needs it.  The group can buy out the projection screen I've been haulingto LUG for the past X years.  We're eyeing an Epson short-throw business projector and a
projector stand.  We should probably get a long extension cord, power strip, and some kindof carrying case.  The goal is to minimize the size of the kit, but be able to do a decent A/V
setup in a cramped restaurant setting.
The easiest way to raise money is to pass the hat. In response to  feedback from past times
we have passed the hat, we will be doing it at the next two monthly meetings for each group,
so everyone who wants to has a chance to contribute. That's also a good time to
weigh in on what we should get.  We are still in research mode.

The money will be accounted for in the usual way, via the SGVLUG Financials Google Sheet.Excess money can go towards the kitty that pays for Meetup and webhosting fees.
We plan on using a Google doc to track who has the equipment and schedule in when the nextgroup needs it.  It can be passed back to me for longer-term storage as I have more storage andit should be easy to arrange pickup from me whether or not I am home.

Lan