[SGVLUG] Audio mixing suggestions

Matthew Campbell via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Mon Jul 8 23:41:00 PDT 2019

I just finished building a couple of new speakers and am now considering
their feeding.  Any suggestions from the audiophiles in the SCALE/AV group
or aficionados of any stripe are appreciated.

I currently am driving a carver amp from an old cell phone running Android
through a small 4-channel mixer:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProFX4v2--mackie-profx4v2-4-channel-mixer-with-effects

Adding the 2 new subs requires a bi-amp setup.  I was running the sub out
of the headphone jack through a low-pass filter for testing, but am looking
for a better solution for production. Something like the NHT X2 sounds
interesting, do any of you have experience with this?
https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/user_files/nht/downloads/000/003/172/X2_Manual.pdf

I also think there must be a way to do this with a larger mixing  board.
What other approaches are worth inspecting?

On a separate project I am thinking of running a video display off the
board through a custom Pi input.  I played with a LM3915 equivalent back in
high school to good effect.
https://www.elprocus.com/visualized-audio-level-display-using-lm3915/

Here's the kind of project I had in mind.  This is a video of a commercial
product, anyone build something along these lines recently?
https://youtu.be/PAjNA0UocOs

Matt

---------
Matthew Campbell