[SGVLUG] Should we meet in Alhambra for next SGVLUG meeting?

Lan Dang via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Wed Apr 3 11:33:28 PDT 2019

Hi all,
Du-Par's changed ownership about 4 months ago and upper management has started instituting a few changes that we don't like.

I ended up reaching out to Innovate Pasadena to ask them to push back on Du-Par's about this and to request an alternate venue for next Thursday's meeting.
They are offering Iona Workspaces in Alhambra.  It's on Alhambra Road near Atlantic Avenue.  I don't know that there is a parking lot, but there is a claim of ample street parking.
 https://www.iona.work/
Since it's kinda last minute, I'm inclined to take them up on it and try this new venue.

Please speak up if you have objections or alternatives.
Feedback and discussion is welcome now concerning what we should look for in new venues.  I plan on attending their April 12th Innovate Pasadena Collaborator Lunch to find us more venues.

Issues with Du-Par's

1) Credit card required to reserve a room.  Although they claim this is to protect them against cancellations, the piece of paper they ask you to sign has a lot of fee amounts and requirements on it, like a $250 deposit, a fee if you don't order food from them, a minimum $20/person food require + required 18% gratuity.https://imgur.com/a/QaNe8RP
2) They don't want to do separate checks any more.
I already had a conversation with the manager on duty and asked him to relay our concerns to upper management.  He did not ask for my contact info, so I'm not feeling good about next Thursday.
I am extremely reluctant to host Meetups at this venue under this condition.  I will not leave my credit card info to reserve the room and I am not going to be responsible for the food bill for the whole group.
Our meetup group meets at this restaurant 4 times a month -- SGV-AI on 1st Tuesday, LiveCode Developer on 1st Thursday, SGVLUG on 2nd Thursday, SWENG on 3rd Wednesday.

I will keep everyone updated.

Lan