[SGVLUG] Running "locate" on a Local Machine-and-a Server?

Jess Bermudes via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Sat Jun 23 03:53:53 PDT 2018

updatedb (and mlocate) uses /etc/updatedb.conf to apply some settings such
as particular paths to ignore in the PRUNEPATHS variable, one of which is
/media. Since this is where removeable disks are usually mounted, that
makes sense, but if your server is mounted as a network drive on your
machine in say, /mnt then I would think updatedb would grab that. However,
by default updatedb.conf lists NFS and other network file systems to be
ignored via the PRUNEFS variable.

The downside to non-permanent attached drives being in the updatedb
database is that since it's often invoked by cron daily, that snapshot may
reflect a state of your machine without the files even if the drive is
connected because the snapshot was taken when the drive was not mounted.

This is the practical explanation, any sysadmins want to give their
opinions on whether it's a good idea in theory to have network drives be in
the locatedb?