[SGVLUG] Cron question

Michael Proctor-Smith via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Tue May 16 11:37:06 PDT 2017

If you don't want to do it as root, or your normal account do it. Then
create a new user to do it, don't reuse an existing system account. With
cron jobs the place you normal fail is that from cron you don't have normal
user path stuff added as it is not a login shell.

But in seem like you are solving a solved problem that we have all gone the
road of. That being wanting to access your network remotely and having a
dynamic ip address. So if I may suggest looking into one of the free
dynamic dns services (DDNS) and save yourself the trouble of having to
check email to find your home ip address. Many home routers will
automatically update DDNS when there ip address changes.