[SGVLUG] Cron question

Bryan Pesterfield via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Tue May 16 11:20:06 PDT 2017

Hello all,

I have a script I wrote to monitor my external ip and send me an update via
email when it changes (it checks ipv4.icanhazip.com, so no parsing
necessary). While the books and webpages I have looked at so far make it
appear easy to set up a cron job, I am unsure of what user should be used
to run the job (since nothing I looked at specified what accounts should be
used, they appear to be indifferent to it).

It didn't seem very secure to have root or myself (aka a regular user) run
the job, so I am hesitating on setting it up until I know what account
should be used to run it. Do I have a system account do it, or do I set up
an unique account just for it? What's the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Bryan Pesterfield