[SGVLUG] Reminder: SGVLUG Meeting: NASA World Wind

via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Thu Jun 1 23:44:15 PDT 2017

I plan to attend.

	-----------------------------------------From: "Lan Dang via SGVLUG"
To: "SGVLUG Discussion List."
Sent: 02-Jun-2017 06:37:38 +0000
Subject: [SGVLUG] Reminder: SGVLUG Meeting: NASA World Wind

     Hi all,

    Reminder that we have an SGVLUG meeting next Thursday. Please
speak up if you will emcee and do Linux in the News. Work is very busy
and I do not have a lot of energy at the end of the day.
    This month, we'll be at Everbridge. Our speaker is Parker
Abercrombie from JPL; he spoke to us last year about "A Cloud-Based
Architecture for Processing 3D Mars Terrain." This time, he'll be
talking about NASA World Wind.

   Please forward this to anyone who you think will be interested.

   If you're coming, let me know, so we can provide a headcount to our
hosts. They want to know how much food to order. Also, please be aware
that finding parking can be challenging; the onsite parking is quite
expensive.   [1]https://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/240104662/ [2]

   ---
   TIME: Thursday, June 8th, from 7pm to 9pm
    LOCATION: Everbridge Training Center, 790 E Colorado Blvd,
Pasadena, CA    TOPIC: NASA World Wind
   SPEAKER: Parker Abercrombie

   TOPIC:
    NASA World Wind is an open source virtual globe that makes it easy
to build 3D geospatial applications. World Wind provides APIs for
Java, Android, and JavaScript, and includes a powerful set of
capabilities for visualizing and interacting with spatial data and
imagery. In the first part of this presentation I will discuss some
the main features of World Wind, as well as the World Wind team's
development philosophy. The second part of the evening will be an
interactive workshop, in which we will build a simple geo application
using the Web World Wind JavaScript API.

    BIO:
   Parker Abercrombie is a senior software engineer at NASA's Jet
Propulsion Laboratory, and is the project lead for OnSight, a mixed
reality tool that allows scientists and engineers to work virtually on
Mars. Parker is also the lead developer of the science targeting
software for the upcoming Mars 2020 rover mission. Prior to joining
JPL, Parker worked on geovisualization software for NASA's Ames
Research Center and the U.S. Department of Energy, including World
Wind, winner of the NASA Software of the Year Award in 2009. Parker
holds an M.A. in Geography from Boston University, and a B.S. in
Creative Studies from the University of California, Santa Barbara
(which he swears is more technical than it sounds).

   Lan

Links:
------
[1] https://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/240104662/