[SGVLUG] Reminder: SGVLUG Meeting: NASA World Wind

Lan Dang via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Thu Jun 1 23:37:02 PDT 2017

Hi all,

Reminder that we have an SGVLUG meeting next Thursday.  Please speak up if you will emcee and do Linux in the News.  Work is very busy and I do not have a lot of energy at the end of the day.
This month, we'll be at Everbridge.  Our speaker is Parker Abercrombie from JPL; he spoke to us last year about "A Cloud-Based Architecture for Processing 3D Mars Terrain."  This time, he'll be talking about NASA World Wind.

Please forward this to anyone who you think will be interested.
If you're coming, let me know, so we can provide a headcount to our hosts.  They want to know how much food to order.  Also, please be aware that finding parking can be challenging; the onsite parking is quite expensive.https://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/240104662/

---
TIME: Thursday, June 8th, from 7pm to 9pm
LOCATION: Everbridge Training Center, 790 E Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CATOPIC: NASA World Wind
SPEAKER: Parker Abercrombie

TOPIC:
NASA World Wind is an open source virtual globe that makes it easy to build 3D geospatial applications. World Wind provides APIs for Java, Android, and JavaScript, and includes a powerful set of capabilities for visualizing and interacting with spatial data and imagery. In the first part of this presentation I will discuss some the main features of World Wind, as well as the World Wind team's development philosophy. The second part of the evening will be an interactive workshop, in which we will build a simple geo application using the Web World Wind JavaScript API.

BIO:
Parker Abercrombie is a senior software engineer at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and is the project lead for OnSight, a mixed reality tool that allows scientists and engineers to work virtually on Mars. Parker is also the lead developer of the science targeting software for the upcoming Mars 2020 rover mission. Prior to joining JPL, Parker worked on geovisualization software for NASA's Ames Research Center and the U.S. Department of Energy, including World Wind, winner of the NASA Software of the Year Award in 2009. Parker holds an M.A. in Geography from Boston University, and a B.S. in Creative Studies from the University of California, Santa Barbara (which he swears is more technical than it sounds).

Lan