[SGVLUG] science-y events in Pasadena on 4/15 and 4/22

Lan Dang via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Wed Apr 12 18:16:02 PDT 2017

Hi all,
A couple of announcements for those of you who like science and/or Caltech.

Bella Gaia will be at Caltech's Beckman Auditorium this Saturday, April 15th at 8pm.  It's a multimedia experience based on NASA data combined with live music and dance.  There is a video preview at the link below. It seems pretty cool, so check it out if you enjoy art and science.  Or even computer visualizations.*  Tickets are $35, $40, and $45.  Kids get in for $10.  Caltech and JPL students/staff/faculty get discounts; recommendation is to call the ticket office on Friday morning.
http://www.caltech.edu/content/bella-gaia-beautiful-earth-poetic-vision-earth-space

Caltech researchers have planned March for Science**  in Pasadena on Earth Day, April 22nd from 8 am to 11am.  They start at Caltech's Beckman Lawn with some talks and will march to Memorial Park, where there will be a small outreach event with science booths for adults and kids from 9:30 to 11am.
https://www.facebook.com/MarchForSciencePasadena/
If you have questions or are interested in volunteering or contributing an outreach event, you can contact marchforsciencepasadena at gmail.com.  You can also contact me; I've been liaising with their outreach event coordinator and plan on volunteering at the event itself.

Lan* Our June presentation is going to be on NASA World Wind (https://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/), a free open source API developed at Ames Research Center that "allows developers to quickly and easily create interactive visualizations of 3D globe, map and geographical information."  Gotta wonder how much of the content from Bella Gaia was generated using this API.
** There are other March for Science events going on all over the country, and a fairly big one in Los Angeles, culminating at Pershing Square in downtown.  But this one is probably more convenient for those of us in the San Gabriel Valley.