[SGVLUG] Reminder: SGVLUG Meeting 4/13. Topic: Intro to Internet Security with Pi-Hole and OpenVPN

Lan Dang via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Wed Apr 5 21:09:44 PDT 2017

Hi all,
Reminder that we have an SGVLUG meeting next Thursday.  Please RSVP on Meetup or with me ASAP.  Our host is providing food and drink, so it would be nice to give them a good estimate by the end of this week.

http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/234893164/?from=ref
TIME: Thursday, April 13th, from 7pm to 9pmLOCATION: Everbridge Training Center, 790 E Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CATOPIC: Intro to Internet Security with Pi-Hole and OpenVPN
SPEAKER: Andrew Witchger

TOPIC:Protecting your digital identity, passwords, and browsing activity is difficult in the world of open Wifi networks, freeware, and advanced advertising techniques based on tracking users across the web. While complete privacy is not possible while connected to the internet, there are many things you can do to make access to your personal data more difficult. This presentation will focus on the basics of internet security, how to begin protecting your network and your data, and why it’s so important. We will focus on the two most prominent (and easiest to fix) security vulnerabilities: encrypting your browsing on external networks using OpenVPN, and blocking advertising and tracking as early as possible using Pi-Hole.

BIO:Andrew Witchger is the Chief Technology Officer at Federal Hearings and Appeals, Inc. (FHAS), the largest independent provider of medical appeals services nationwide. Andrew has lead new initiatives to incorporate software solutions to the aging medical appeal systems. His current projects aim to disrupt the way healthcare and insurance firms process claims by leveraging machine learning techniques. Prior to FHAS, Andrew was a research scientist focusing in cryogenics and particle physics.

Lan