[SGVLUG] 10/13 Meeting Recap - 3D printing

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Fri Oct 14 11:33:18 PDT 2016

Hi all,
tl;dr Great event.  Great discussion.   Jess was recording.  Mic took photos.  Thanks to New Matter and everyone who came.  Small group continued onto Du-Pars for dinner.
Mic's photos:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0C-RjUGpMLgdnpkaDV5YnJ0WU0

ANNOUNCEMENT:
Connect Week Pasadena is next week, Oct 16-23.  Sign up for the events you're interested in; some of them have limited seats and will sell out. https://connectpasadena.com/events
There are a couple of 3D printer events listed.
Monday, at Supplyframe Design Lab:  https://connectpasadena.com/events/3d-printing-demonstration-and-discussionTuesday, at MAKEiT in Alhambra: https://connectpasadena.com/events/3d-printing-and-micro-manufacturing-for-new-business

RECAP:
We had a great Meetup last night.  It went pretty much the way I wanted it to.  There were 3D printers printing, models on the tables, and people chatting with each other.  I'm a relative newbie to 3D printing things, so I was showing off my successes and failures, which fit neatly into a quart-size ziploc bag.
Mic was on photographer duty.  Jess manned the camcorder in the back of the room.  We're not sure how good the audio will be.  We'll have lots of new photos for our booth at SCALE next year.

We started at 7:30pm with announcements about upcoming tech events, and then turned it over to Dave, who has a technical approach to 3D printing.  I had to interrupt the Q&A to make sure we got to the lightning talks, which were both on the theme of 3D printing for social good.  And then that's when the real fun started, as we had a lively discussion about 3D printing, what makes a 3D model printable, use cases for 3D printing, working with materials other than PLA, and even into my favorite topic of food hacking and how to 3D print food or make food molds.  Pauline had some fun ideas on 3D printing and food.  John Burke showed us his 3D prints of quadcopter parts and educated us about making sure we have support material.  I very much appreciate Diego from Deezmaker showing up, as he fielded some of the more advanced topics like resin printing.  Joan and Rich are also quite knowledgeable, having literally written books on the subject.  And Chris and Matt took the conversation in interesting directions.

We ended the meeting around 9pm so we could clean up and head to Du-Pars.

 Thanks to our host, New Matter, for hosting.  Specifically, thank you Steve Schell and Daniel Alvarez.  (And thank you, Homan, for hooking us up.)   It was a very good match.
TALKS:* Dave Flynn - 3D Printing, What is it good for anyway?
* Joan Horvath and Rich Cameron - mainly on their Hackaday Prize project https://hackaday.io/project/11312-3d-prints-for-teachers-of-the-visually-impaired* Lan Dang - sharing Valerie Narumi's story of starting up enablingmusic, an e-NABLE community chapter out of Valencia High School, aimed at give the gift of music through prosthetic hands.  Valerie is a high school senior, so that's quite a remarkable achievement.
https://www.facebook.com/enablingmusic/

ABOUT NEW MATTER:
New Matter (newmatter.com) seeks to provide an easy-to-use 3D printer for households and schools, and part of how they do it is by also provided a curated catalog of 3D models that are configured to print well on their printer.  The printer itself looks pretty nice and they had some nice prints on display.  Turns out they also do filament.  The ones I saw were shiny, pretty pastels.

ATTENDANCE:
As usual when we have a specialized topic, we saw a lot of new people.  New Matter put out 50 chairs for our event, and they were mostly full.

Lan