[SGVLUG] An Intro-and-an Inquiree?

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Wed Mar 16 11:13:09 PDT 2016

Well, at first I was going to send an intro, since I didn't see any similar
message in a March archive. Anyway, as folks know, if any are reading from an
SFV LUG, they know I am totally blind, have been running strictly Linux since
2006. Once Speakup had DecTalk drivers in 2003 I was able to begin running
Linux. I first got online on CompuServe in 1994-and-began useing Shells in 95,
but my transition from DOS2Unix/Linux hasn't always been easy. When it came to
writing Batch files in DOS, each line made perfect sense to a non-programmer.
But aliases and other scripts seem alot more criptic.
In the 10years I've been attending our SFVLUG, there is a gentleman who is quite
passionate about writing scripts so I can continue to rip streams, even in an
`increasingly javascript World. Another member converted an app to a python
script, so I could run a Grace WIFI Radio.
So now in current times, since I still need some assistance with my setup, I am
still wondering where I can go, even to hiere some1 to create an audio editor,
along with other maintainance? Certainly in a windows World, this kind of help
is alot easier to find, but so many are seemingly afraid of Linux-and-some may
be intimidated by speech.
And lastly, during the last 3weeks or so multiple Uverse gateways are not
working well. According to 2 installers, they think my Linux desktop is knocking
out the WIFI here, so now I cannot adequately run an Apple TV or Uverse TV. One
of our Luggers suggested I run "arp broadcast" but I cannot find such a command,
although I am running arpd. I looked over with "ps -A" and tried killing some
items, also tried removing apache2 here in Debian. Since some may be around my
geography, would any of you be up2some challenges? And soon we will attend a
future dinner. Thanks so much in advance
Hart
Sherman Oaks