[SGVLUG] Linux laptops

Henry B (Hank) Hotz, CISSP hbhotz at oxy.edu
Thu Mar 10 16:01:36 PST 2016

> On Mar 10, 2016, at 3:11 PM, Braddock Gaskill <braddock at braddock.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 12:45 PM, Dustin Laurence
> <dllaurence at dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> I have a vague memory that VMWare is considerably more seamless than
>> VirtualBox. I took a class where all the work was in a VirtualBox guest,
>
> On Mac, I had a MUCH MUCH better experience running Linux in VMWare
> than VirtualBox.  This is circa late 2014, and VMWare has never given
> me a reason to look back.
>
> Although I think VMWare is much more expensive on Windows than Mac,
> where it has biting competition from Parallels for the Windows-on-Mac
> market.
>
> -braddock

On Windows, isn’t there a VMWare Reader for free? On Mac there’s just VMWare Fusion which costs money (unlike VirtualBox), but isn’t horrible for price. I use VirtualBox, and the last couple of years it’s been pretty solid, running on a Mac.

One “hidden” cost is that a machine running a VM still needs the horsepower that *all* the processing requires. Maybe I’m spoiled, but an 8GB machine still bogs down if I do a lot of switching between MacOS and RHEL activity after using one or the other exclusively for a while.

Personal: hbhotz at oxy.edu
Business: hhotz at securechannels.com