[SGVLUG] PHP question

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Tue Mar 1 16:52:59 PST 2016

On 02/25/2016 05:42 PM, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Facebook's use of php is not as bad as the average use, see
> https://www.quora.com/Why-hasn-t-Facebook-migrated-away-from-PHP

Facebook is a great example, despite my animosity towards their entire
existence. If someone can't accept that one of the busiest sites in the
world relies heavily on that scripting language, then it's a pointless
conversation that falls on deaf ears.

Similarly, where I work, we've been using PHP to control a cluster of
stress test automation racks, which help hammer thousands of STBs, and
aggregate the data for post-process analysis and automated bug reporting.

The biggest draw-back for us, was the lack of native support for process
threading, which was rather easy to overcome.

We've moved away from perl/expect/bash to mostly all PHP for the CLI
automation (object) library and scripts. This helped us consolidate code
between the CLI environment, web application interface, linux
administration automation tools, embedded systems, and REST API.

No animals were harmed in this process, except for the stress rack monkey.