[SGVLUG] Bittorrent Launching News Network

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Wed Jul 13 11:12:53 PDT 2016

Well, my google news alert for Aljazeera America found this item, other than my
2 Apple TVs, I hope I can find an actual url for this stream next week! Will see
many of you tomorrow evening. This story was from Fortune
BitTorrent Launches Live Streaming News Network

      * by
      * [28]Mathew Ingram

      * [29]@FortuneMagazine

    1:01 PM EDT
      * [30][hidden-link]E-mail
      * [31][hidden-link]Tweet
      * [32][hidden-link]Facebook
      * [33][hidden-link]Linkedin

    Share icons

    BitTorrent, a streaming-technology company more closely associated with
file-sharing than journalism, announced on
    Wednesday that [34]it is launching a live-streaming TV news network that the
company says will be an "informed,
    independent voice on the news."

    The new network will go live on July 18 at the Republican National Convention
in Cleveland, Ohio. It is being led by
    news director Harrison Bohrman, a former producer with Vice's TV network
Viceland and before that a writer and producer
    with CNN, who was recently hired by BitTorrent.

    In addition to Bohrman, the company says its team on the ground for the
political conventions will include several
    former reporters and producers from Al Jazeera America, including former
chief political correspondent Michael Shure,
    reporter James Reinl, and producer Rita Chan. Al Jazeera America [35]shut
down earlier this year.

    "Television news has been stagnating for some time," Erik Schwartz, vice
president of media for BitTorrent, said in a
    statement. "It's having trouble appealing to a generation that grew up
online. We are using superior data and tools and
    the Silicon Valley ethos of lean startup to build a nimble news organization
that will learn quickly from user
    behavior."

    [36]Get Data Sheet, Fortune's technology newsletter.

    The company says its convention coverage will include play-by-play commentary
on all developments and speeches, along
    with guest commentary, and that it will provide 10 to 12 hours of live
coverage every day, starting with 2 hours of
    live programming in the morning.

    "We are marrying the Internet's principles of open access to information with
society's need for unfettered--and
    unfiltered--access to news," said Jeremy Johnson, co-CEO of BitTorrent.

    The company, whose main claim to fame is a peer-to-peer file-sharing
technology that makes it easy to distribute and
    download large files, [37]launched a streaming video service called
BitTorrent Live in May that is available on the
    [38]Apple TV.

    In addition to the company's news channel, the video service includes
alternative networks and content providers such
    as Clubbing TV, FightBox, Newsmax TV, Heroes TV, and TWiT. BitTorrent says
its P2P technology allows it to scale faster
    and distribute content more easily than traditional TV companies.
Hart