[SGVLUG] TWC in Linux?

Nathan Haines nhaines at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 30 18:55:21 PDT 2016

On 08/30/2016 06:49 PM, Hart Larry wrote:
> Thanks Dan, while I do login as a name, that isn't an issue, but
> somewhere it I think logs in to an AT&T e-mail address. So I would
> figure instead I need to login to a newer TWC address? Thanks in advance
> Hart

As Dan said, this is usually handled by your ISP-provided router for
network access.  On the LAN/WLAN side, the router just routes packets
over a private 192.168.1/24 subnet.

A client-side login solution is extremely rare and almost never exists
these days, so you'll need to be more specific than "there's no evidence
for this but maybe it exists somewhere?" if you want specific advice.
The general advice is no, you don't have to log into anything
anywhere--either there's a hardware handshake or your ISP-provided
equipment will perform the PTPOE authentication, but end-user devices
are completely agnostic about this.

--
Nathan Haines
Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/