[SGVLUG] Recommendations for > 100 MBbs routers

Munjal Thakkar m00njal at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 21:31:53 PDT 2016

Jess,

You are right as this unit is a router only, and is meant to be used with a
switch, dumb or managed. However there are wizards included to auto config
a Soho setup easily to allow eth0 to be wan and eth1 and eth2 a switch. Or
you can manually configure all three ports for three different networks,
etc.

The Er-x has the same wizard, which essentially makes it a really good
router with built in switch, because it has a total of 5 ports.  Think of
it as an off the shelf router without wireless at that point when you run
the built in wizard. Then you add any access point of your choice and off
you go.

Example I have in production:
100/50mbps FiOS connection in Santa Monica at a cafe.

Running an er-x with a regular UAP with 1 Poe injector powering both. Have
a guest Network and 2 internal networks.

Area is about 3500sqft (open space) with business critical applications
running on the internal wifi. This includes delivery tablets from Uber and
GrubHub, and a VoIp and Fax ata also for delivery orders, PoS systems, and
some wifi ip cameras. That's right, this business runs their voice services
on the wifi setup by the UAP. No call quality issues.

Now the guests, automatically firewalled off to internal network and
manages About 35 -55 guests simultaneously with heavy traffic during peak
hours. Lunch weekdays and breakfast weekends. This setup has never once had
in issue in 18 months or a power cycle. CPU on router never even breaks
10-15 % .

If I haven't convinced you how much these devices kick ass, I don't know
what will!