[SGVLUG] Recommendations for > 100 MBbs routers

Matthew Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 00:21:11 PDT 2016

Hey Claude,

Here are a couple of suggestions for Cisco gear.  They are
professional routers with full programability and functionality.  The
interface is all cli which is freely documented... if you take the $6k
Cisco certification class.  Having taken the class I found I knew more
than the instructor before the class even started.  He couldn't get
the lab equipment hooked up so I set it up for the class, all without
training.  He thought I was a re-cert.

In the end the syntax is a bit obscure but the operations fairly intuitive.

There are dozens of 2k and 3k routers on eBay in the $70-$170 range.
Here's one picked at random for $90:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-3825-Gigabit-Router-15-1-IOS-CCNA-CCNP-CISCO3825-1-Year-Warranty-/262462974020?hash=item3d1c032844:g:npoAAOSw4q9XTgDy

It comes with only 2 1G ports, but comes with VPN, firewall,
encryption and a whole lot of expansion slots.  Voice, ATM, DSL, etc.
all fairly easy to add but if you are going to do a lot the modules
add up and you should buy a router already equipped.

Here's the technical detail:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/3825-integrated-services-router-isr/index.html

Do your research, there are a lot of options and it's a fun project to
play with.  If you take a couple of days and work this out there is a
lot of application in the workplace.

One of the things I learned is that you need to make sure you get a
unit with maxed memory so you can download the latest firmware.  I
ended up paying an extra $35 for an expansion.

At the end of the day you can get a Ferrari for the same price as a
new VW if you are careful.

Matt
---------
Matthew Campbell