[SGVLUG] ATT U-Verse mode bridge mode with own router?

Jess Bermudes jbermudes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 21:56:02 PDT 2016

While we're on the topic of routers...

I'm using DSL Extreme's resold U-Verse package and they require me to use
ATT's combo modem/router. Looking around the config and reading blogs on
the web it seems that this 2Wire/Pace modem does not support a true bridge
mode but instead offers something called DMZplus. There are reports that
some other customers are given Motorola modem/routers that support
something supposedly closer to bridge mode called "IP Passthrough".

Does anyone have any experience with putting your own router behind theirs
and what the difference is between those modes and a true bridge mode? What
am I losing by not having access to a true bridge mode? Should I try to ask
ATT tech support to give me the Motorola modem?

 - Jess