[SGVLUG] SCaLE disability issues OS

James McDuffie mcduffie at pitfall.org
Fri Sep 11 21:39:21 PDT 2015

I've recently read about some interesting open source news related to helping people with disabilities:

Stephen Hawking’s Intel speech system is now open source
http://thenextweb.com/dd/2015/08/18/stephen-hawkings-intel-speech-system-is-now-open-source/

Built from the ground up open source eye tracking camera for people with
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) / Motor Neuron Disease (MND):
https://github.com/JuliusSweetland/OptiKey/wiki

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015, at 04:58 PM, Braddock Gaskill wrote:
> I am very interested in this disability SIG.  How do I get in touch
> with Bill?
>
> -braddock
>
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 3:50 PM, Lan Dang <l.dang at ymail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,

As announced at last night's LUG, Bill Zuke, one of our LUG/HAK members,

asked us to relay the following message:

Please make a short announcement at the SGVLUG meetings, a special

interest group is forming around OS and persons with disabilities.  The

group will be in contact on-line with each other during the year, and be

involved with SCaLE.  The intent is to bring individuals together over

issues of making OS available to people with special needs.  This

includes programmers who wish to do humanitarian projects, individuals

interested in home automation, and any one working on a specific

disability access problem.  We hope to encourage and assist any one who

has a good idea which may not be getting adequate attention in other

groups.

I do not feel comfortable posting Bill's information on the list, since

it'll be archived and spidered in a matter of days.

If you're interested in this endeavor, I'll pass on his full email with

his contact information.  I believe phone is the best way to reach him

as my previous attempts to return his email always bounce--he
uses lafn.org

Lan