[SGVLUG] Volunteeing for SCaLE A/V

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Thu Sep 10 08:48:57 PDT 2015

Hi all,
 The Southern California Linux Expo will be Jan 21-24, 2016 at the Pasadena Convention Center.   As you might know, some of the LUG members are on the SCaLE A/V team, which manages the audiovisual equipment and the video streaming for the conference.   We could use volunteers before, during, and after the conference.
The first kickoff meeting will be via Google Hangouts, and will be focused on stuff we can do before the conference.  If you want to get involved, please subscribe to the scale-av mailing list.   Also feel free to talk to us at LUG.  This is one of the things we'll be announcing today :)

Before the conference, we work on the hardware and software and things we can prepare ahead of time.
During the conference, we're debugging the hardware and software, installing our equipment, troubleshooting A/V issues, managing the two-way radios, operating cameras, and occasionally going into rooms and telling people to use the microphone, not jostle the camera, and turn the room lights back on.
After the conference, we need to make sure that all the videos get split up and uploaded to the SCaLE Youtube channel.  There will be cases where the live stream is glitchy and we may have to do video editing with the recordings we have.
Obviously, being geeks, we'd prefer to automate as much of it as we can.  But also, being geeks, we tend to be super-ambitious with all the cool things we want to add and run out of time before we get it automated.

Lanscale-av volunteer coordinator