[SGVLUG] Bad news -- BC is closing and we need a new meeting place

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Mar 23 12:15:12 PDT 2015

James McDuffie wrote:
 > Did they ask for any payment other than ordering food? If so, did they
 > mention how many meals would need to be ordered? I remember that
 > Hamburger Hamlet was a bit stingy about letting the space be used. But
 > if Du-par's is more open and welcoming then I for one would like to
 > give them return business.

Du-par's is indeed more liberal in their requirements than the Hamlet,
but of course as a business they need to look out for their own bottom line:

They prefer to see attendees ordering meals, though I noted to Veronica
that in our group a very solid majority do order dinner while a few
don't and she seemed fine with that.

I think for a group our size, with the number who do order meals, it's
good regular business for them, so if some don't order I don't
anticipate a problem.

 > I don't recall, but was there a projector in the back room, or would
 > we need our own? Do they have wifi for customers?

I don't believe they have wifi.

They do have a good sized TV mounted on the west wall.  I'll be visiting
there this week to check out the ports, but assume HDMI at a minimum.

 > Thanks once again.

Happy to help, both us and Du-par's.  They've done a good job with
keeping the interior of the Hamlet, and they kept most of the staff as
well.  I think they're a good addition to the community, so it's a nice
win-win for all.

Lan wrote:

 > Questions that can't wait,  however,  are:  How many people can they
 > seat back there?

Up to 30 very comfortably, maybe more.

 > Can they handle separate checks?

She expressed a preference for a single check, but I told her that may
be difficult for our group and she said then that we'd all just need to
be patient with the wait staff, and I told here that wouldn't be a
problem at all for us as we're very appreciative of the venue and its
staff and are such good-natured people we'll be very accommodating in
return for the courtesy of separate checks.

 > While most us order food,  some people just show up for the meeting
 > and don't want to order anything.  Will that be a problem?

Covered above.

 > Also,  we never know how many people will show up to a meeting--it
 > ranges from 10 to 35 people,  I think.

Veronica likes to see a minimum of 8 meals ordered out of the room if
she's going to reserve it, and I told here that would likely be a very
easy goal for us to meet.

 > And do we need to bring a projector and is there a wall or screen to
 > project on?

I don't recall a screen there, but the afore-mentioned TV may be quite a
good option for us.

I'll report back on the TV ports in a few days after my next visit there.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems