[SGVLUG] Memories of SLS Linux

Matthew Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 23:27:03 PDT 2015

> My first attempt at installing Linux was Red Hat 7.x

LOL, does my first install of the closed-source XENIX in 1983 on an IBM AT
count?

"Microsoft, which expected that Unix would be its operating system of the
future when personal computers became powerful enough,[4]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix#cite_note-letwin19950817-4> purchased a
license for Version 7 Unix <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Version_7_Unix>
from AT&T in 1978,[5] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix#cite_note-5> and
announced on August 25, 1980 that it would make it available for the 16-bit
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16-bit> microcomputer market.[6]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix#cite_note-6>"

Wow, history lends an interesting perspective...

Here's another interesting read for those who were around in the early days
of personal computing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer

I got into larger Unix systems in the mid '80s and ran on Dec and IBM
hardware through the early 90s and then SGIs into the 2000s.  I didn't
crack the covers on an open source OS until I ran into Linux in 2002.  In
2004 I jumped onto Fedora 2 and adopted it as my main OS.  It was a private
personal favorite until they really stabilized the desktop somewhere around
F11.  I was stoked, now I could recommend Linux to less technical users.
Unfortunately immediately thereafter they went into what seemed an identity
crisis which resulted in several less stable releases and I had to move
friends and customers off to other distros.

Now with Fedora 20 I have finally moved my father-in-law onto Linux.  He's
not getting it:

Tom:  Why can't I download Flash Player?
Matt:  Because every time you download and install software to watch cats
playing piano you get a virus.  We moved you to Linux so I could lock you
out of your own hardware.
Tom:  Ah, yeah, I remember now...

Does this sound like anyone you know?

Matt