[SGVLUG] Memories of SLS Linux

Braddock Gaskill braddock at braddock.com
Sat Mar 14 21:12:04 PDT 2015

I got SLS Linux 1.05 circa April 1994 installed and running in qemu.  It
was neat to go through the old process - actually easier than I thought.

I (eventually) followed a very good guide here:
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/2097

This is probably the oldest Linux distribution available.  There is an
earlier SLS 1.03 on biblio, but it appears to be incomplete and fails on
installation.  I tried VMWare before qemu without success.

It would be an interesting project try to get networking support.  You'd
either have to SLIP over the emulated serial port, or recompile a very old
version of the kernel if the emulated network hardware was by chance
supported in 1994 (which I doubt).

Another interesting project would be getting X windows to work.  startx
failed out of the box, as I expected.  I recall getting X windows running
at the time as a very difficult and frustrating process.

But I probably won't go further into this.

-braddock