[SGVLUG] problems sending email out via dslextreme

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 14:42:40 PDT 2015

Hey I just noticed I have stopped getting email’s sent out from my computers at home.  Email on laptops and desktops work still, I think it’s my fileserver and probably my NAS that are affected.  Seems to have stopped around June 3rd.  Only took 9 days to notice - I normally get several emails every day.

Looking through dslextreme’s website and it says I have outbound port 25 enabled but did they change something?

Ah, found it in my syslog file:

Jun  3 16:00:20 xxxxxxxxx postfix/smtp[15084]: 2E42784E27: to=<xxxxx at xxx.xxxt>, orig_to=<xxx>, relay=smtp.gmail.com[74.125.129.108]:587, delay=2.8, delays=0.02/0.12/2.7/0, dsn=4.7.8, status=deferred (SASL authentication failed; server smtp.gmail.com[74.125.129.108] said: 535-5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at?535 5.7.8 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/14257 j7sm1765852pdp.83 - gsmtp)

Note hostname and email addrs have been xxx’d out.

So I know that dslextreme will no longer be using google for their mail browser but I guess it’s affecting outbound email.  I’m going to have to go through every device at home and confirm they can still send email out.  Anyone know how to reconfigure postfix to specify the username and password?  Looks like I switched from AT&T DSL to DSLExtreme Sep 2013 and I have not really had to reconfigure anything in that time.  Don’t see anything in /etc/postfix, been searching for google|gmail|dslextreme in /etc but can’t find anything.

Found this on the dslextreme website

https://www.dslextreme.com/support/kb/email-and-newsgroups/error-550

found the file.

I had to edit /etc/postfix/main.cf and change the following entires:
relayhost=[smtp.dslextreme.com]:587
smtp_sasl_password_maps=hash/etc/postfix/sasl/passwd.dslextreme   <— contains my info

————-

Okay, rewind.  I opted to reconfigure to use gmail since I’m planning on ditching dslextreme soon and just use my regular gmail account but since I have two factor authentication set up, I had to create a dedidicated application password.  That was a chore trying to find it on gmail’s website then figure out which settings and all.

yup just got 9 days worth of security scans to my inbox and another 8 delayed weather reports sent as sms and email.

Summary of what I had to do

1) Edit /etc/postfix/main.cf

	relayhost=[smtp.gmail.com]:587
	smtp_sasl_password_maps=hash:/etc/postfix/sasl/passwd

2) edit /etc/postfix/sasl/passwd

	[smtp.gmail.com]:587 name:password      <— unique application password generated by gmail web site

3) Regenerate map file

	postmap hash:/etc/postfix/sasl/passwd

4) Make sure files are set so only root can read using chmod 600

5) Check config and restart if good

	service postfix check
	service postfix restart

6) Rinse and repeat until it’s working.