[SGVLUG] SGVLUG May 14th Meeting: Ansible

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Wed Apr 29 23:24:24 PDT 2015

Hi all,

The topic for May's SGVLUG meeting is Ansible.  No, not the communication device from Ender's Game.  Ansible is a powerful, but simple automation tool along the lines of Chef and Puppet, but with less overhead.

Ansible should be of interest to many people, so it is a good meeting to attract new people. I hope to cross-promote it with other groups. Matti suggested LinuxLA and UUASC. I don't know anyone in those groups, so I'll have to rely on y'all to spread the word.

The speaker is Andrew Hamilton, who gave the Ansible talk at the Southern California Linux Expo.

http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/221742845/

We will meet at OpenX on Lake and Walnut in Pasadena.  OpenX is a tech company that has been pretty supportive of the local tech groups and hosted quite a few Meetups. It is a great venue with room for a lot of people, guest wifi, and a very large projection screen and projectors. They are providing pizza and drinks.  Thanks to Bobby M. at OpenX for making the arrangements.

They requested RSVPs 48 hours in advance because they need to provide a list of names to security.  We are handling the RSVPs through Meetup with a cap of 35 people.  That was my initial estimate to Bobby, so I am not comfortable opening it up to more people without first clearing it with him.   For those of you who hate Meetup, just RSVP with me, and I'll add you as my +1 and keep track of your name.

Out of consideration of our host, we will start the meeting at 6pm.  We will socialize and eat first.  The talk will begin at 7pm.  We should probably leave when the talk is over, so they can clean up and lock up.

The details about Ansible and OpenX are on the Meetup page and will eventually be on our website.

Lan