[SGVLUG] Tempting 12TB FreeNAS storage box on Amazon Warehouse, $1116.74

Matthew Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 09:34:36 PDT 2015

Good morning Scott,

The WD 6TB Reds are going for $260 without looking hard.  That puts a 12TB
NAS with no protection at $700 or so if you use an old computer you have
lying around (or a $35 Raspberry Pi if you don't have high SLAs around
streaming video performance).  With protection you can do a 4X4TB RAID5 3+1
for about the same price at twice the power draw.

I like to build my own for efficiency and the art of learning what goes
into a box.  In the end there is not really that much to learn and the
learning is half the fun.

I agree that if you are just looking for a plug and play solution this box
is a reasonable approach (and I have heard great things about FreeNAS).

Matt

---------
*Matthew Campbell*
Storage and Cloud Strategy