[SGVLUG] MDADM support

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 17:30:41 PDT 2014

Yes, FOSS is great until you try to do an update and something
somewhere breaks -- some developer somewhere decides to change
something not realizing or possibly not carrying that the change make
break someone else's program.   A good chunk of the problems I've run
into occurred during an upgrade.  You either have to keep up with
constant patches or lock it down then you get out of sync until
there's a security problem and you realize you are too many revs
behind.

I no longer have as much free time and my changes do effect other
people in the house so I no longer build own kernel, I no longer
manage my own firewall, I no longer manage my software RAID system,
etc.  Instead I use COTS products when possible (router, NAS) or find
someone else's program that does much of what I want and subscribe to
his mailing list (weather station).  Other projects have fallen by the
wayside such as parts of my home automation system, PBX with IVR, etc.

As for having visibility at the code, who has time to inspect
everything?  How many people could have caught Shell Shock but didn't?

Claude