[SGVLUG] Linux on windows 7 ?

John Kreznar jek at ininx.com
Mon May 12 04:54:05 PDT 2014

In a posting purporting to be from RG Wilcox
<e320r837i4031j316 at yahoo.com> but lacking a digital signature, it is
written:

> I'm thinking it might be his computer because Ubuntu did work on
> another win 7 machine.  About Puppy I'll need to try it also on
> another win 7 machine and see how it acts.

Why do you dwell on other software in the box?  That's irrelevant to
whether Puppy Linux boots.  What hardware manufacturer, model, etc?

Does the machine use Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) [1]?
It has been written:

   The threat is not the UEFI specification itself, but in how computer
   manufacturers choose to implement the boot restrictions.  Depending
   on a manufacturer's implementation, they could lock users out of
   their own computers, preventing them from ever booting into or
   installing a free software operating system. [2]

> John, it would be way better to talk to you in person.

I would be glad to continue off-list in encrypted email.  Please send
your PGP public key.  Key search found nothing for your email address.

But if you mean voice or face-to-face, no.  I'm poor at extemporaneous
dialog and avoid it when possible.  Here's one of my aphorisms:

   Email is the culmination of communication.  Voice, and all else, if
   done at all, is ephemeral preliminary to the email.  Email allows
   escape from the tyranny of forced extemporization.

 ----

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface
[2] http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/

--