[SGVLUG] Meeting Recap for 3/13

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Fri Mar 14 01:04:18 PDT 2014

For those of you not on Meetup, we have two events for Saturday 03/15:
 * 1-4pm Celebrate Hardware Freedom Day at Tux-Lab.  John has a lot of heavy machinery and cool things he has built with these machines.You'll have to RSVP on Meetup to get the address, or just ask John nicely.  NOTE: I don't advise coming earlier than 1pm.

http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/169820202/

* 6-8pm SGVHAK visits the Pasadena City College Fab Lab.  PCC is having a grand opening of their new Fab Lab during the Innovate Pasadena CONNECT weekend event.  They have set up registration through EventBrite.  It's free and there is no limit on the number of tickets, and you can register up until the time the event starts.http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/169432972/

Next month will be the OLPC talk by Caryl Bigenho.  Braddock and James and Rami have some leads for various speakers, but the calendar is currently wide open from May to the end of the year.   Recruit a speaker, or think about speaking.   If there is any kind of demand, we can try another round of lightning talks so we can have multiple people give short talks.  Mind you, the last time around, short talks ran about 20-30 minutes.

We had a really good meeting this month.  People are very social, and I'm starting to see more new people, though it remains to be seen if they will be regulars.   I am trying to comment on the Meetup events so the now 100 people in our SGVTech Meetup have a better grasp of what to expect at our meetings.    Feel free to post comments or pictures or what have you.
http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/163841252/

I think Burger Continental is working out really well as a venue.  Cheryl had a waiter helping her with our table.  Because we had dinner first and then the presentation, they were able to take our orders, serve us, and close out our bills without interrupting the presentation.  We had some swag from SCALE to give away--t-shirts and penguins.  I gave the SCALE bag to Cheryl as a souvenir.

We had a full table and there were some people who sat in the chairs against the wall.  Obviously, some of them had come specifically for the Unleash Kids talk and there was some networking going on after the talk.  We finally got kicked out around 10:30pm by the last BC employee, who was doing the final lockup.

We used a camcorder to record the talk, mostly for the benefit of Unleash Kids (unleashkids.org) and Internet in a Box (internet-in-a-box.org).   I  have ambitions of being able to do this on a more regular basis  for the people who couldn't make it to LUG.  I broke down and got a wireless mic to get better sound for the camera.  Thanks to Braddock for the tripod and James and Jess for setting up the camera and doing the sound check.  I got both a lavalier and a handheld mic, but since we had two presenters, James put out the handheld mic.   It was our first time using it, so I'm not sure how good the sound will be.  If there are issues, I hope it can be fixed in editing.  (I also wonder if there is some way to connect to the sound system that outputs to the speakers high on the walls...)

Lan