[SGVLUG] SGVLUG Meeting Thu, Mar 13: Unleashing Kids and Teachers in Haiti

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Tue Mar 11 23:00:21 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I apologize if I've confused anyone with the incorrect date I've been listing for the March meeting.  It will be on March 13th aka this Thursday.  I don't know why I kept listing March 8th.

Once again, we have a SGVLUG meeting this Thursday at Burger Continental.  John Slayton has offered to bring his projector.  Could I have another volunteer as well, in case we encounter technical difficulties?  Our presenters are expecting to connect via VGA.

Due to our presenters' schedule, the presentation will not start till 8pm.
I have talked to Cheryl at BC about the strong probability of our meeting running past 9pm.  It should not be a problem.

We'll be doing dinner and club business from 7pm to 8pm.  It'll give us a great opportunity to talk about our experiences at SCALE and to schedule speakers for upcoming meetings.

The description for this month's topic is on the SGVLUG website (sgvlug.org) and  on Meetup.

http://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/163841252/

TOPIC: Unleashing Kids and Teachers in Haiti

DATE: Thursday, March 13th, 8pm. (Meeting still starts at 7pm

SPEAKERS: Curt Thompson and James Murdza

ABSTRACT: Curt Thompson and James Murdza, both recently back from trips to Haiti, will talk about the evolution of the One Laptop per Child Project into Unleash Kids, their successes and failures working with schools, establishing a lasting infrastructure, and the technology behind it all.

Some of the projects they will talk about are a mission school using OLPC laptops and a school server providing internet caching/filtering servers, a remote off-the-grid school using only solar power to charge ten laptops, an orphanage with twenty computers and miniature solar panels, and several schools using Internet-in-a-Box, an offline source of Wikipedia, Khan Academy, and Open Street Map.

Lan