[SGVLUG] Ride to SCALE tomorrow morning?

Michael Shulman michael.shulman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 15:08:10 PST 2014

There's been a lot of discussion around putting green line station in
LAX, but they elected to go with a people mover instead for a variety
of reasons. The two that immediately come to mind are:

1) It would make LAX a terminus for the Green Line, similar to the
Blue Line in Chicago which ends in Ohare. The current plan is for the
Green Line to continue north, and doing so with a stop in the airport
would be extremely costly and inefficient for everyone not going to
the airport.  The other option would be a split terminus, similar to
the green line in Chicago, which would be confusing for commuters and
would require a higher number of trains to run

2) The people mover is actually needed because LAX lacks an internal
transit system. It's not particularly feasible for a pedestrian to
walk between certain terminals, and the existing inter terminal bus
system would not handle the extra people well. It would also make for
a MUCH more confusing experience for commuters.

When I lived in Pasadena, I made use of the LAX Flyaway -- just take
the gold line down to Union station and catch a bus for $7. The entire
trip took somewhere about 1.25 hours, which seemed to be less than if
I dealt with driving to LAX, figured out parking, and took the shuttle
from parking.  For this conference it's not particularly convenient
due to the hours.

--
Regards,
michael.shulman at gmail.com
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.