[SGVLUG] ATT U-verse vs TimeWarner cable

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 18:45:01 PDT 2013

thanks for the responses.

Sounds like I should avoid U-verse as originally planned.

Anyone have numbers for ATT business DSL?  pricing and speeds?

Anyone know what ports are blocked by TimeWarner cable?  As far as I've noticed ATT has not been blocking ports but then again, I don't run my own mail server and I use non standard ports for things like HTTP/HTTPS, SSH, etc.  I've had the same static IP since 1999 but I can easily use my DynDNS account.  Does TWC's modem/router support pushing IP changes to dyndns?

I do not think Charter is in my area.  There's Adelphia or is it Champion?  But again, I'm currently using TWC for digital cable TV.

Looks like I can get DSL Extreme Fusion as I'm connected to the Arcadia CO.  Their website says they use ADSL2+ for a max 20 Mb down so the question is what's the upload speed?  From an old email, it looks like I am 5800' even though I am 5 blocks away.  I like the idea of $40/mo for a static IP 1-yr contract including unlimited nationwide telephone.  We're currently paying $30 to ATT just for the phone service with a few extra features which are part of DSL extremes standard service so this might save us in the neighborhood of $40?!!  Anyone have a referrer number?  Stan?

Original plan was to add cable internet, verify it works then cancel ATT DSL.  But if I switch DSL and phone service, I assume I'll be dark for a while?

Claude