[SGVLUG] Bad Ethernet patch cable, but passed a DC cable tester

Dan Buthusiem dan.buthusiem at gmail.com
Sat May 4 16:12:21 PDT 2013

I used a Fluke DTX to certify a few cable drops at work last summer. Even
though one computer will like a cable at a certain speed, the DTX gave
thorough detail into the physical capabilities of the wire in far more
detail than I had ever thought would have ever mattered. I felt like it
really helped me to understand the "personality" some things seem to have,
which could all be down to a kink in one of the wires, or a poor
termination at the jack. It's pretty amazing to me.