[SGVLUG] Fwd: New SMART disk errors detected! (readynas)

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 14:31:42 PDT 2013

So my Netgear ReadyNAS started sending these messages every few days
for about a week now.  This is disk 1 of 3 in a 4-bay ReadyNAS NV+
configured for XRAID (ReadyNAS's extended RAID-5).  Looking at the
status, it's got the lowest temp of 36C (#2 is at 40C, #3 is at 37,
mainboard is at 36C).  The start stop count is 15 (others are 13 and
15) with power on hours of 18603 (18589 and 15575) or 25 months of
nearly continuous operation (UPS of course).  It's a Seagate 2 TB
Barracuda green model 32000542AS.

How long do people typically allow these errors to continue before
replacing the drive or do you just wait for it to fail?  Again it's
basically RAID-5 so I don't lose data unless I lose a 2nd drive before
completing the resync.  I had originally started with a pair of 500 GB
drives that I added a 3rd then replaced with a set of 1.5 TB drives
and then the current set of 2 TB drives 2 years ago.

Oh, I see the warranty is good till Dec 2015 so I guess I'll give it a
while yet.  The other drives have 0 reallocation counts.  I may have
another 2TB drive in my desktop that I've been using as a backup but
I've started rebuilding my Win7 box using a Samsung 250 GB SSD so the
existing 500 GB could be repurposed as the local backup drive.

Claude