[SGVLUG] dead display on Squeezebox classic SB3

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 10:45:51 PDT 2013

Well I'm bummed.  The display on my Squeezebox Classic SB3 has died after
nearly 7 years of continuous use.  Haven't used it to play music as much
the last few years but we did use it as a large digital clock next to the
TV that also showed the current outside temperature from my weather station
as well as the humidity until that sensor died not that long ago.  I really
liked the green 2-line vacuum fluorescent display.  Originally made by Slim
Devices, the company was acquired by Logitech in 2006 and the product line
was discontinued just last summer.

At first I thought my WiFi access point had locked up again as the display
goes dark when it has no connection but cycling power on the WAP had no
effect.  I thought the Slimbox was dead but I noticed the red glow from the
TOSLINK jack.  I could ping it.  Took some digging but found my browser
bookmarks to control it via the web and it responds.  It's playing through
my receiver right now but the display appears to be dead.  Buttons on the
remote seem to work, I can turn it on and off, FWD, pause, etc.  Found a
few discussions about removing the WiFi card but that didn't seem to do
anything plus I'm currently connecting via WiFi. Tried one of the resets
but not the factory reset as I would have no way to reconfigure.  When I
had it open, I saw only two caps, both looked fine.The CPU board and WiFi
adapter card are connected.  The RCA outputs died a few years so I've been
using the optical cable for the DVD player.  Haven't tried the wired
network connection in ages.

Anyone know how long VFDs last?  Easily 60,000+ hours on this thing.
Anyone try to replace a Noritake 280x16 pixel display?  Or better, does
anyone have a squeezebox they are no longer using and willing to sell?

Cross posting to the main SGVLUG list as I seem to remember someone else
had one when I was thinking of doing a presentation about this thing a few
years ago.

Claude